Top 5 Best Semi Trucks for Truck Drivers in 2023
Truck drivers know the impact a new semi truck can have on their success as a driver. The best semi trucks for truck drivers is a heated debate with each driver having their favorite. Though, you should know that you can't go wrong if you're driving or buying a semi truck in our Top 5 list. In this blog post, we will look into why each semi truck belongs in the Top 5, as well as the drawbacks of each.
So whether you want to:
- Buy a semi truck in the future
- Stay up-to-date on features of the latest semi trucks
- Or add to conversations with other drivers at the truck stop (without physical violence!)
Then, read on to learn what the Top 5 semi truck models are for truck drivers in 2023!
Top 5 best semi trucks for truck drivers
1. Best Semi Truck - Freightliner
You can expect to see Freightliner on every list comparing the best semi trucks for truck drivers. It's for good reason too because they are one of the nicest trucks for truck drivers in the US, with a market share of 40%! The Freightliner engine comes equipped with anywhere from 350-600 horsepower and up to 2050 lb of torque, which allows drivers to haul a variety of loads. Known to be aerodynamically efficient, Freightliners help you save money with fuel efficiency. They also cost less and provide top features that drivers expect from Peterbilts and Kenworths. With a great build quality and more accessible price, it's easy to see why the Freightliner is the best semi truck for truck drivers in 2023.
- Cascadia is the signature of their semi truck models
- More than 70,000 Class 8 semi trucks are sold annually
- The highest market share with 40% of semi trucks!
- Founded in 1942 by Leland James
- Made the first semi truck with an all-aluminum cab
- Aluminum is lighter and more affordable than steel
- Could have a lower resale value due to a saturated market
- Maintenance and repair can be a hassle with long wait times
2. Most reliable semi truck - Kenworth
Kenworths are 18 wheeler trucks built by truckers for truckers. They have experienced drivers who advise on the design and features of their semi trucks. Kenworth semi trucks are known for making the driver's day on the road less stressful with their smooth navigational technology. They also have a reputation among truck drivers as one of the most reliable semi trucks and with lower operating and maintenance costs. While Kenworth semi truck models are heavier and less fuel-efficient, this gives them the sturdy feel that truck drivers love. If you are interested in a Kenworth, you should know that most drivers prefer the Cummins engine over others. It's also interesting to know that Kenworths are manufactured by PACCAR, the same parent company that makes Peterbilt 18 wheelers!
- Founded in 1923 by Harry Kent and Edgar Worthington in Seattle and currently in Kirkland, WA
- Second largest semi truck brands in the US with a 16% market share
- Models include: T680, T680 Next gen, W990, and the W900L
- Heavier on materials and build than their Peterbilt counterparts and other semi trucks
- More expensive than other semi truck brands
- Lose out on fuel efficiency
3. Nicest trucks - Volvo
Though not as common in the US, Volvo is known to be an international leader in quality semi trucks. Volvos are the 5th most popular semi truck manufacturers in the US but are #2 in the world. And for good reason too, Volvos come from the same company that makes Mack trucks and have an excellent support network. It's hard to beat a Volvo for durability, performance, and comfort. Volvos are known to be more fuel-efficient and easier to drive because they're generally lighter and smaller in size. Volvo comes with cutting-edge technology such as dynamic steering, which gives additional torque to the steering column. This causes the steering wheel to return to neutral with ease and prevents crosswinds from moving the steering wheel.
- Smallest market share of all top 5 semi trucks - 10%
- 5 semi truck models in their VNL line
- Industry-leading parts
- Repairs can be more expensive
4. Over the top truck - Peterbilt
Peterbilts are classic American semi trucks, and for style, there's no topping their iconic long nose. Peterbilt has two non-electric Class 8 semi truck models, Model 389 and 579. Both are high quality but they do differ from each other in looks. Model 389 has a more classic look and the 579 goes for a more modern design that makes significant aerodynamic improvements, with increased fuel efficiency. The Model 579 also has predictive cruise control, which improves fuel efficiency, and has the largest mattress you will find, making the Peterbilt one of the semi trucks with big sleepers! If you want to join Peterbilt's loyal fanbase, you can expect a lighter and more fuel-efficient ride thanks to the aluminum body. Made by PACCAR, the same semi truck manufacturers that manufacture Kenworth semi trucks, you can also expect a high-quality build and parts.
- Similar market share as Kenworth, about 13%
- Made by PACCAR, same as Kenworth
- Started in 1939
- Not the best truck for hauling heavy loads
5. Solid truck on the road - International
As long as you avoid the International Prostar with the MaxxForce engine, which is known for severe breakdown issues, you can expect a good-looking and quality truck on the road. Historically, International semi trucks have been known for power and performance. Their Class 8 semi truck models include the Lonestar and the LT Series and were designed with the driver's comfort in mind. Drivers enjoy a pleasant driving experience thanks to the handling that International has become known for. Add increased safety due to improved front and side visibility and it's easy to understand why International semi trucks belong in the top 5 best semi trucks for truck drivers in 2023.
- Navistar International Corporation holds an 11% market share
- Located in Lisle, Illinois
- Founded in 1986
- Prostar with the MaxxForce engine is known to have serious breakdown issues
Top 5 nicest trucks
You've made it to the end of our guide for the Top 5 Best Semi Trucks for Truck Drivers in 2023! You now have a solid understanding of which semi trucks are the best and the reasons why. Don't forget that the best semi trucks among drivers are based on the driver's needs and preferences. So while you might think that a semi truck is the best commercial truck, don't get into a verbal tussle with a driver at the truck stop over preference!
Speaking of preference, at MigWay we prefer the Freightliner Cascadia and the Volvo semi trucks because we've learned that's what keeps our drivers and mechanics happy. Both are driver favorites because they offer a smooth ride, plenty of torque, reliably handle tough terrain, and make long hours on the road more comfortable for drivers!
If you're looking for a trucking company with new and safe semi trucks, MigWay is a perfect choice. We offer drivers a safe driving experience and the opportunity to take their professional driving careers to the next level.
Get in touch with our recruiter today to learn more!